Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Failure is also human behaviour

Did you ever wonder if a failure could be avoided if skilled people were participating in your project? Did someone ever doubt the developer not able to deliver good code and the tester to provide well executed test scripts? Was the team you were working in a highly motivated team and bugs were delivered real time? Was the trust and believe missing towards the application and the people although everyone did a good job, was motivated, made and kept their promises followed the process and still issues were found on a system which should be reliable?

Perhaps you have not been in a situation like that.

How often did you sit down in the lunchroom of your company? Do you sit down your own seat? Was the seat in a particular corner of the room? Or did you sat on all chairs during the years?

I have been in such a place for over 2 years. There are perhaps over 100 seats and most and during the years I sat on almost every one of them. Here is the trick; I’m not able to tell for sure as I have my favourite spots. It doesn’t matter. The issue here is that I perhaps missed some chairs or perhaps not as result of my behaviour. It is in human behaviour to find the safest spots. For some people this is near a window, near an escape door, some people like to sit with their back against the wall. Some people are not aware of the options and others don’t care.

I’m sure there are other behaviours on this. In my opinion it is important to acknowledge that human behaviour influence the outcome. Often the reason behind that behaviour is not noticed or measured. I think it is not mandatory to measure everything. Though it is important for a tester to be aware of differences in human behaviour and learn to defocus to see better which relations are created between human and its environment.

Failures are not only technical, therefore the tester needs more skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment